1. Ferlay J, Autier P, Boniol M, Heanue M, et al. Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006. Ann Oncol 2007;18:581–92.
2. Klotz LH, Goldenberg SL, Jewett MA, Fradet Y, et al. Long-term follow-up of a randomized trial of 0 versus 3 months of neoadjuvant androgen ablation before radical prostatectomy. J Urol 2003;170:791–4.
3. Aus G, Abrahamsson PA, Ahlgren G, Hugosson J, et al. Three-month neoadjuvant hormonal therapy before radical prostatectomy: a 7-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. BJU Int 2002;90: 561–6.
4. Soloway MS, Pareek K, Sharifi R, Wajsman Z, et al.; Lupron Depot Neoadjuvant Prostate Cancer Study Group. Neoadjuvant androgen ablation before radical prostatectomy in cT2bNxMo prostate cancer: 5-year results. J Urol 2002;167:112–6.
5. Heidenreich A, Aus G, Bolla M, Joniau S, et al.; European Association of Urology. EAU guidelines on prostate cancer. Eur Urol 2008;53:68–80.
6. Huggins C, Hodges CV. Studies on prostatic cancer. I. The effect of castration, of estrogen and of androgen injection on serum phosphatase in metastatic carcinoma of the prostate. J Urol 2002;167:948–51, discussion 952.
7. Huggins C, Stevens RE Jr., Hodges CV. Studies on prostate cancer. II. The effect of castration on advanced carcinoma of the prostate gland. Arch Surg 1941;43:209–23.
8. Heidenreich A, Aus G, Abbou CC, et al. Guidelines on prostate cancer. Arnhem, The Netherlands: European Association of Urology, 2008.
9. Melton LJ 3rd, Alothman KI, Achenbach SJ, O’Fallon WM, et al. Decline in bilateral orchiectomy for prostate cancer in Olmsted county, Minnesota, 1956–2000. Mayo Clinic Proc 2001;76:1199–203.
10. Calais da Silva FE, Bono AV, Whelan P, Brausi M, et al. Intermittent androgen deprivation for locally advanced and metastatic prostate cancer: results from a randomised phase 3 study of the South European Uroncological Group. Eur Urol 2009;55:1269–77. Epub 2009 Feb 21.
11. Sato N, Akakura K, Isaka S, Nakatsu H, et al.; Chiba Prostate Study Group. Intermittent androgen suppression for locally advanced and metastatic prostate cancer: preliminary report of a prospective multicenter study. Urology 2004;64:341–5.
12. Spry NA, Kristjanson L, Hooton B, Hayden L, et al. Adverse effects to quality of life arising from treatment can recover with intermittent androgen suppression in men with prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer 2006;42:1083–92.
13. Calais da Silva FE, Calais da Silva FM, Goncalves F, Santos A, et al. Evaluation of quality-of-life side effects and duration of therapy in a phase III study of intermittent monotherapy versus continuous combined androgen deprivation. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings. J Clin Oncol 2008;26(Suppl 15):abstract 5064.
14. Agarwal DK, Costello AJ, Peters J, Sikaris K, et al. Differential response of prostate specific antigen to testosterone surge after luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone analogue in prostate cancer and benign prostatic hypertrophy. BJU Int 2000;85:690–5.
15. Schally AV. Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone analogs: their impact on the control of tumorigenesis. Peptides 1999;20:1247–62.
16. Limonta P, Montagnani MM, Moretti RM. LHRH analogues as anticancer agents: pituitary and extrapituitary sites of action. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2001;10:709–20.
17. Oefelein MG, Cornum R. Failure to achieve castrate levels of testosterone during luteinizing hormone releasing hormone agonist therapy: the case for monitoring serum testosterone and a treatment decision algorithm. J Urol 2000;164:726–9.
18. US FOOD and Drug Administration. Plenaxis (abarelix for injectable suspension) Nov 25, 2003. Accessed on Feb 14, 2009, Available from http://www.fda.gov/cder/infopage/plenaxis/default/htm
19. Weston PMT, Hammonds J, Vaughton Oleson TK, Jensen JK, et al. Degarelix; novel GnRH antagonist tested in a multicenter, randomized dose finding study in prostate cancer patients. BJU Int 2004;94(Suppl 2):57.
20. Tammela T, Iversen P, Johansson J, Persson B, et al.; Degarelix Study Group. Degarelix; a phase II multicenter, randomized dose-escalating study testing a novel GnRH receptor blocker in prostate cancer patients. Eur Urol Suppl 2005;4:228.
21. Poppel van H, Tombal B, Rosette J, Persson B, et al. Degarelix: A novel gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) receptor blocker – Results from a 1-year, multicentre, randomized, phase 2 dosage-finding study in the treatment of prostate cancer. Eur Urol 2008;54:805–15.
22. Gittelman M, Pommerville PJ, Persson BE, Jensen J, et al.; Degarelix Study Group. A 1-year, open label, randomized phase II dose finding study of degarelix for the treatment of prostate cancer in North America. J Urol 2008;180:1986–92.
23. US Food and Drug Administration. Degarelix. Dec 29, 2008. Available from: http//www.fda.gov/cder/Offices/OODP/whatsnew/Degarelix.htm. Accessed on Feb. 14, 2009.
24. Klotz L, Boccon-Gibod L, Shore ND, Andreou C, et al. The efficacy and safety of degarelix: a 12-month, comparative, randomized, open-label, parallel-group phase III study in patients with prostate cancer. BJU Int 2008;102:1531–8.
25. Morote J, Orsola A, Planas J, Trilla E, et al. Redefining clinically significant castration levels in patients with prostate cancer receiving continuous androgen deprivation therapy. J Urol 2007;178:1290–5. Epub 2007 Aug 14.
26. Tombal B, Miller K, Boccon-Gibod L, Schröder F, et al. Degarelix vs. leuprolide treatment in patients with advanced prostate cancer: PSA failures during a randomised, phase III trial (CS21) EAU 2009 Postersession.
27. Heidenreich A. Klinische Effektivität und Sicherheit von Triptorelin-Pamoat (Pamorelin®) in der Therapie des fortgeschrittenen Prostatakarzinoms bei 1 432 Patienten. DGU 2008 Postersession.
28. McLeod D, Zinner N, Tomera K, Gleason D, et al.; Abarelix Study Group. A phase 3, multicenter, open-label, randomized study of abarelix versus leuprolide acetate in men with prostate cancer. Urology 2001;58:756–61.
29. Soloway MS, Chodak G, Vogelzang NJ, Block NL, et al. Zoladex versus orchiectomy in treatment of advanced prostate cancer: a randomized trial. Urology 1991;37:46–51.
30. Kaisary AV, Tyrrell CJ, Peeling WB, Griffiths K. Comparison of LHRH analogue (Zoladex) with orchiectomy in patients with metastatic prostatic carcinoma. Br J Urol 1991;67:502–8.
31. Vogelzang NJ, Chodak GW, Soloway MS, Block NL, et al.; Zoladex Prostate Study Group. Goserelin versus orchiectomy in the treatment of advanced prostate cancer: final results of a randomized trial. Urology 1995;46:220–6.
32. Sarosdy MF, Schellhammer PF, Soloway MS, Vogelzang NJ, et al. Endocrine effects, efficacy and tolerability of a 10.8-mg depot formulation of goserelin acetate administered every 13 weeks to patients with advanced prostate cancer. BJU Int 1999;83:801–6.
33. Wechsel HW, Zerbib M, Pagano F, Coptcoat MJ. Randomized open labelled comparative study of the efficacy, safety and tolerability of leuprorelin acetate 1M and 3M depot in patients with advanced prostatic cancer. Eur Urol 1996;30(Suppl 1):7–14.
34. Jocham D. Leuprorelin three-month depot in the treatment of advanced and metastatic prostate cancer: long-term follow-up results. Urol Int 1998;60(Suppl 2):18–24.
Prof. Dr. med. Axel Heidenreich, Dr. med. David Pfister, Dr. med. David Thüer, Klinik für Urologie, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstr. 30, 52074 Aachen, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org